Friday, August 19, 2011

Marathon journey - 4 weeks to go!

It has been a hard but enjoyable journey leading up to the Blackmores Marathon in September. My training started in February this year and needless to say there have been some ups and downs. I have managed to accomplish a few goals, learn more about training techniques and my own limits, make some great friends as well as endure a couple of bouts of sickness along the way.

As part of my marathon adventure, I am raising money for the McGrath Foundation. I did this last year when I ran the Blackmores half marathon and raised over $1300. I chose this charity because of it's link to the great Kerryn McCann, a brilliant runner whom I have admired for many years. I hope to raise more money this year and just wanted to remind everyone that it's not just the 42.2km I will be running on the day that I will be doing for this cause, but all the training leading up to the event....

I was lucky enough to receive a garmin GPS watch for my birthday from Anthony back in May and I have been keeping track of my mileage since then. On average, I run between 45 to 70 km per week.

In May, Nella and I ran the SMH Half Marathon in a time of 1:46:10. Our aim was 1:45:00 - so close but we were still thrilled with the result. On Sunday, I ran the City2Surf in a PB of 68:22mins. Very stoked. My aim was under 70mins and my time was 5 minutes faster than I ran last year! Our aim for the marathon is simply to complete it and I am quietly confident we can achieve this.

I am also so happy that my marathon journey has inspired my friends to run as well. I don't know how, but I managed to encourage my besties Sarah, Alicia and Helen to run the city to surf!! I am so proud of them for completing the difficult 14km course. Here are Alicia, me and Sarah after the run:


So, with just over 4 weeks to go, I am feeling prepared but nervous at the same time. So glad to have had some great running partners to train with - Nella, Bridget, Janet, Helen.... thanks girls. I also would not have been able to do this without the support of my husband, Anthony. Having two kids under 5 always makes time for training a struggle, but we have managed somehow! Thanks babe x

Oh and if you would like to sponsor me by donating to the McGrath Foundation, click here!

1 comment: