Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Just missed out, but still happy :)

It's been nearly 2 weeks since I ran the 2011 SMH Half Marathon with my training partner, Nella. Although we just missed out on the time that we were aiming for (1hr45), we were really happy with the result: We completed the 21.1km hilly course in 1 hour 46 minutes and 10 seconds. Click here for our stats. Three months of training led up to the run and we trained hard. But it was a big ask to run under 5 minute k's for the entire distance....

We stayed the night in the city and when we got to the start line at 6:15am, it was still dark. And cold. 13,500 people had turned up ready to run! When the gun went, we took off at a good pace and went through the first km in 4:50min... then over the bridge at circular quay, the sound of all the footsteps pounding on the road was just amazing. It kept us going and we flew through the first 5km in 24:20min (4:51min/km pace) well within our target.

Nella and I before the run.

A few drink stations later, we passed the 10km mark in just over 49mins (a PB for me over that distance!). Still going strong and on target to make our dream time. We started to struggle a little when it seemed that every time we turned a corner, there was another hill! At the 14km mark, we decided to have an energy gel - we had made it to this point in 70 mins and were now right on target - but had slowed down substantially. Up until now, it had felt like the kilometres had just flown by. It was now that we would have to dig deep to maintain the pace... and it was hard!! I don't think there was a point where I felt I had hit the wall, but between the 16 to 19km mark was a big struggle. The legs felt heavy, our breathing was laboured. We were tired!

Me and Nella at the 19km mark and rounding the corner at Mrs Macquarie's Chair

After 19km we were on the home stretch and we picked up the pace again. Passing the 20km mark, Nella told me to run on ahead if I felt I could but I was not going to let her give up.... We had come this far together, we should finish this together - and I was just as stuffed as her! So we kept running.... and at the final turnaround point Nella asked "are we going to make our time?" I replied, "I don't know, but lets try!".... and try we did!

We crossed the line together in 1:46:10. Very happy. Very excited. And with even more determination to achieve more running goals!

Finished at last!

That was almost 2 weeks ago and I think I am still recovering from that run! Two days of unbelievably sore legs followed by tiredness. But it was so worth it!

Now onto the next goal.....

No wonder I have no time to scrap LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment